Monday, March 25, 2013

Slow to Speak, Slow to Wrath




Antonio has poor circulation in his legs and feet.  At least I have been told so.  I guess it is from lack of movement and because he doesn’t walk.  His feet are always cold and dark purple in the mornings.  When we shower him we use an exfoliation glove and warm water to get the blood pumping and circulation going in his legs turning them from dark purple to a nice warm pink color. 

We are very careful with Antonio’s legs and feet because if he gets a wound on his feet it usually does not heal well on its own.  We have ended up at wound clinic a few times to heal stubborn wounds.  His AFO’s (leg braces he wore for years) made such a mess of his feet and legs we don’t use them anymore.  Instead I had our orthotics(sp?) guy come up with a rubber boot, like thing, to put on Antonio every day to protect his feet from the friction of his shoes and straps on his wheel chair.  We invented them two years ago and they are wonderful!  They are a very flexible, soft, clear material.
They are thick enough to protect his feet and legs yet I can fold them right up easily. 

Every time Antonio speaks he stiffens up his whole body, with all his might, to speak using all his cerebral Palsy tone to help his lungs expel air to talk and he talks a lot.  So all that stiffening and relaxing causes break down on his skin where ever his body is touching his wheel chair or anything else.  We have to watch his skin carefully for marks that look like they will become sores.  His skin is also very thin on his legs and feet.  So we just have to be really careful.

He has had an issue with an ingrown toe nail we have been dealing with for at least two years.  He gets it removed, we have a hard time getting it to heal, it gets infected over and over again.  We have had wound clinic handle it once already.  Still it got infected again.  We have been trying to get it to heal without having to cauterize it and kill the area that keeps growing into the toe and causing the trouble.  But after two years of trying to get it to stay healed his pediatrician, Tim and I decided we better get it done.  So today was supposed to be the day to remove the offending whole side of his big toe nail and cauterize it so it doesn’t grow back. 

We all got up this morning and got chores done, did home schooling, had lunch and quick off to a nearby town to have this done.  No one locally would do it and take his insurance.  We drove about an hour to get there.  We got there at 1:30 p.m.  All the little’s(Carolyn, Zeke and Elizabeth) sat patiently in the waiting room and read or played with their things they brought to keep them busy.  The new doctor read Antonio’s history and wouldn’t do it.  Grrrrr.  That is not what I wanted to hear…slow to speak, slow to wrath…….I mean I didn’t want my son to have to go thru it either.  Then have us deal with another wound to try to get to heal too.  But it is better than a wound that won’t heal already because of the ingrown toe nail……. we can do this and get rid of the cause and go forward, was my thought.  I tried to calmly explain this to the doctor.
 He called Antonio’s pediatrician and they talked for a while.  Finally after two hours he said he would only remove the offending part of the toe nail and that was all.  Not cauterize it.   He wanted to see how it healed up with his own eyes over the next few weeks.   

I am not happy.  Slow to speak, slow to wrath…..If I had wanted another toe nail removal I could have stayed in our little town and had his pediatrician do it.  It would have saved a lot of gas and time.  And the guy wants to watch the healing process himself for the next few weeks?  I mean we have been dealing with this for two years.  Doing it this way, in 8 months we will be having this toe nail removed again.  The whole time trying to keep infection out of it and trying to get it to heal. 

Anyways,  Antonio my strong little man took it all in stride.  Had the procedure done and will enjoy getting spoiled for the next little while. 

We got home at 5:30, much later than I was planning on.  Good thing I made soup from scratch this morning and had it cooking all day on the stove.  So I didn’t have to worry about supper.    

This is my verse for today:

James 1:19-20
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:  For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

I tried to be quick to hear today even though I didn't like what the doctor was saying.  I understood why he wanted to go this route.  He has access to and more ideas for wound healing on the feet than a pediatrician does as he deals with diabetics with foot issues all day long.  So I will give this guy a chance with my Antonio...One chance mind you!  :)  I can see why we are to be slow to speak.  If we take our time and think before we speak we can convey our meaning with out saying or acting in a way we might regret.  Also if you are slow to speak you often can stop yourself from filling with rage and becoming angry.  Because you hash it all out in your head first, giving the Holy Spirit time to work and help you.  I advocated for what I thought was best for Antonio and voiced my opinion in a calm and concise way.  I won’t pray for patience as I know what the bible says about that and I know sometimes these things happen for a reason.  So we will just see how this heals and pray for the best.   May we all be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to wrath when these kind situations come up. 

God be with you,
susan

No comments:

Post a Comment