Wednesday, April 10, 2013

And I Will Give You Rest




Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

We live an extremely busy life.  There’s the serving God by…serving my husband, keeping our home clean, organized and running well, home schooling the children,  caring for the children’s physical needs, emotional needs and parenting them, running our small farm, many therapies and doctors appointments every week……well the list goes on and on as you all know because….  you all have long lists of your own!  People live such busy lives now days it seems.  It is so hard to find down time.  On top of that are the huge issues that so many might be dealing with.  The economy, huge health problems, floundering marriages, troubles with ones young children or even their adult children …..as the above verse says many people in life labour and are heavy laden.

It is so nice to be able to go to God at any time and He will give us rest and to have a whole day He commands us to rest on!  God has shown me thru the years that rest is so important and I don’t just mean getting enough sleep.  Although that is very important as well.  Tim and I both greatly value our sleep!  But Tim and I have had so many hard times with the children thru the years.  Serious times with their lives and health.  That we have run to God for rest, in the face of overwhelming situations, so many times and for such long stretches we have learned to try to live enjoying every moment in His rest.  To live life as much “at rest” as possible.  That no matter what we are going thru, to just try to leave it all in Gods hands and keep on going forward by faith.   I had always managed our home at full speed ahead.  I had to really, when they were all so small and fragile.  We were going all the time.  We had extra foster children all the time.  I tried to stay organized and carry so much on my own, I seriously about wore myself out, not realizing I didn’t have to.  I now know God really will carry us thru where He asks us to walk and we will be ok. Not that I don't worry or get stressed or upset. But if I do, it is my own fault for pulling the worrying part of life back onto my shoulders, when in faith, it should be given to God.  Even if we have to remind ourselves to give it to Him daily, or every moment. 

Thru the years God has slowed me down and I try to tell myself when I notice myself feeling rushed, stressed or busy again.  To simplify things the best I can and just leave it all at the base of the cross and try to enjoy every moment.  To look into my children’s eyes when we speak, not just at them.  To enjoy every smile, every hug, every innocent question.  Even try to see the beauty of the hard times because the hard times grow us, teach us and bring us closer together....closer to God.

Living life as full and busy as we do makes us appreciate the still small moments we get here and there to just relax and do nothing at all.  We were invited to my sister home for a cookout this past Sabbath.  It was so very nice to just sit, have conversations with adults! And watch the kids just enjoying themselves with their cousin, a few aunts and uncles and their Papa.  Here are some pictures of us just being a family.
                Elizabeth, William, Zeke and Carolyn cooking their food. 
                        William on his fourth hot dog!
                 Antonio sitting under an umbrella to stay out of the heat and sun.
If you know Tim, you will know what a once in a life time picture this is!  Tim works very long hours and when home rarely steps foot outside.  He doesn't mow grass, work around the barn, landscape or garden.  He fixes computers for fun in his spare time.  A computer geek thru and thru.  I am more than glad to do all the work at home as he works so hard to give me the privileged to stay home and raise the children. God has blessed us.   Anyways, I glanced over and saw him with !!a pitch fork in his hand!!  I just had to get a picture.  Then the whole family egged us on to do this one.....
                          Of course we could not keep a straight face!
                There was roasting marshmallows. 
                          And smores!
                          And just silly fun!
Psalm 62:1-2 “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”

Exodus 33:14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.
                     Elizabeth swinging carefree! 

Even just resting and watching the beauty of the fire was relaxing.

I praise God for carrying us thru each and every moment of every day and for these times of relaxation and making happy family memories.  For Sabbath a whole day of rest.

Exodus 20:8-10 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God.

May God give you the peace that passes all understanding and rest that only comes from Him as you live and grow in Him.

susan











No comments:

Post a Comment