Friday, May 24, 2013

For The Least of These

Holiday picture 2005!

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.


I have wanted to do a post for a while about adoption.  It is a topic that is very dear to my heart and I believe, from reading Gods Word, dear to Gods heart as well.  As after all, we are all adopted too, into Gods family!

Romans 8:14-16   For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.  The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Before I got married, when I thought about adoption, I always pictured it as a way for people to have a child when other means had failed.  The people that I had met who had adopted, adopted a baby at birth and raised it as their own.   I believe that is a wonderful thing to give a home to a child and bring the joy of raising a child to a couple.  But once I started doing foster care my eyes were opened to a whole new world I knew nothing about.  At first it was not an easy thing to see or feel comfortable about. It is over whelming and sad.   

The need was so great. I wanted to fix the situation, help them all, my heart was heavy from seeing it and learning it.   When we first started doing foster care I saw children that languished in care (in the system) and them needing homes to be adopted.  The children that had their parental rights terminated on, for terrible things, if the foster families could not or did not want to adopt them…they often just sat in foster care waiting for a family to come forward to adopt them.  Tim and I literally watched many of these children grow up and age out of the system.  After seeing that, my eyes were then opened to how large of a number that was.  How there was a website for almost every state in the union showing picture after picture of children that had their parental rights terminated and were wards of the state. (AdoptUSkids) Snap shot after snap shot with brief descriptions under them telling a little about that smiling face.  That is how we found Antonio.  I stumbled upon the Georgia website called My Turn Now. 

I know that most of these children have special needs.   Special needs to the state can mean anything from being over the age of 3 years old, to a large sibling group, to a child of a minority, to a child that has been diagnosed with something.  I believe all children deserve to have a family.  To have love, to feel and be safe.  I was so sad to learn of it all.  Since finding out then about these kids, it has never left my heart and mind.  I speak of it often to people.  I try to advocate for the children that need homes.

The next situation that was brought to my attention was after we had Elizabeth come into our lives.  After she came to live with us, we spent a great deal of extended stays in hospitals.  It was there we learned about “border babies”.  These are babies or children that have entered the hospital and been abandoned and have such medical needs that a foster home could not be found for them.  I have met, played with and seen many of these children.  Many of these children living years in the hospital. While staying in the hospital with Elizabeth, by the grace of God, I was able to help at least one child out and into a home and is now adopted.  The mother of that child was able to get another child that had been in the hospital her whole life (five years) out and into a foster home that was a nurse.  But most “children’s hospitals” across the nation have some of these children in them.  It is just not discussed or spoken of.  The hospitals absorb the cost.  We all pay the price.

The next adoption situation that I learned about was international adoption.  There are soooo many children, especially those with special needs that are waiting in foreign countries to be adopted.  I pour over their pictures as well.  The ones on Reece’s Rainbow and other sites.  (RainbowKids)  I pray for them.  Some of those children are living in just deplorable situations.  I have seen them die before being adopted.  Many so tiny for their age.  A 14 year old child that weighed 11 pounds.  Yes, you read that right.  11 pounds.  Child after child that needs to be redeemed.  That need to be set free.  That need a mommy and a daddy…a family….a place to call home. 

Psalms 68:6 God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.

Please don’t go to this link if you can’t handle the sight. (Fair warning) But this is a blog page of a dear sweet family that have went to adopt these institutionalized children time and time again.  They gave them a home and loved them thru their institutional behaviors and these kids flourish!  This particular blog page I am sending you to, is a page she compiled of before and after pictures of many of the children that have been adopted and saved by many different families.  Praise God.   The images never leave my mind. No Greater Joy Mom "seeing is believing"

I don’t feel it is every persons calling to adopt.  Matter of fact…I know it is not every families calling to adopt.   I understand that we are all different, have different talents, and are able to serve the Lord in different ways.  We are all a different part of the body of Christ having a different function from each other……..But there are a few things in God’s Word that we are all called to and two of those things are to care for the widows and orphans.  I am a quiet person.  I try to never ask for help and do things on my own with Gods help.  But I am going to ask something from you.  It is something God asks of you as well…. Something that won’t take you very long or inconvenience you.  I am asking you to join with me and many others to please pray.  Pray daily and often for these orphans to find families.  For God to raise up Godly men and women to come forward for these children and provide the finances for these children to be adopted.….. If you feel led… look at these websites and fervently pray over these children’s pictures, using their names, bringing them before the throne of God for help and a family.  To make it easy, pick one child a week.  Print out their picture and put it on the fridge and every time you see it, touch it and pray for that child.

I am also asking anyone who reads this, if you are very brave…and truly feel led of God……. to please pray with an open mind and heart…listening for Gods answer for two weeks about orphans.  To pray about, if it is His will for you to sponsor a waiting child.  Every bit helps so much.  Maybe sponsor, pray for, or give a small donation to,  a family that is trying to reach the amount of money they need to go and get their child.  And for the very brave, those who maybe had a seed planted in their mind and heart about adoption, waiting to hear from God what to do with their lives….to pray if God has a child, your child, out there waiting for you to bring them home and redeem them. 

Again, I know that every family is not called to adopt.  Adoption can be a scary thing for us as well as the child….…Adoption is time consuming , to complete all the paperwork and classes.  Adoption is life changing, it will totally change your life to bring another child, often with huge needs into your pretty calm and normal life.  Adoption is a lot of work!  To raise a child as unto the Lord is a lot of work and prayer! No matter who that child is.   Adoption  is costly, it is very expensive to pay for an adoption, but if it is Gods will,  He owns it all and will provide every penny.  Jesus knows adoption is costly as it cost Jesus His very life.

It will cost us ours, to devote to a child to raise it.

Tim and I are normal average every day people.  We didn't adopt to be popular, because we had a lot of time or money, because we wanted a huge family, because we thought people would like us or admire us.  We adopted because God asked us to do it and the need is so very great.  He asked us to stretch out of our comfort zone time and time again.  To walk into very scary territory at times where we felt less than qualified or able.  But once we stepped up to what He asked of us, He was there every step of the way and we have literally seen miracles and been blessed in such huge ways that we never would have seen if we had not lived the life God asked us to.
Yes, if it were not for adoption I would not be a child of God.  I would not be saved.  If it were not for adoption I would not have the wonderful family I am blessed with.  Look at our children.  It is not just pictures on a computer screen.  We are a blessed and happy family.  Adoption to me is personal….it is a beautiful thing.

 

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Mark 9:37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.

 

May the Lord God in heaven lead and guide you in all you do,

susan

 

A few more stories/things pertaining to this topic if interested:

The Blessing of Verity - the story of Katie's adoption

Stuck - place to buy a documentary about the orphan crisis

Sweet Esther's Story - video put on their blog as to why they are adopting 

Twelve Blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment